Friday, April 3, 2009

ATL

Growing up in a suburban area, I was never really exposed to urban life. The neighborhood and city I grew up in was predominantly white. Although, there was a city ten minutes away from mine that carried the characteristics of an urban city, but I rarely went there. From viewing the movie ATL, I was able to get a look at what exactly what urban life is like. I did not particularly like the plot of the movie, but I did enjoy getting a look the way these people lived their lives. One of my favorite characters of the movie was not one of the main characters, but he did have an active role. He was Rashad’s friend that went to a private school. He was the only character who was trying their best to make it out. The fact that he used a different address in order to be able to go to a better school shows how determined at a young age he was to get out of the hood. He understood that he needed to get into a good college in order to be successful enough and in order to do so he had to go to the best school available to him. One character that I did not particularly like was Rashad’s girlfriend Erin, aka New New. While other people strived to get out of the ghetto, she longed to be a part of it. I personally do not like people who try to be someone they are not in order to be accepted. I think it was pathetic how she wanted to be ghetto and have people in the hood to like and accept her. Another character that I did like though was Ant. At first he was living his life the wrong way, but in the end he learned his lesson and decided to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment