Thursday, March 12, 2009

Waiting to Exhale

I do not exactly remember when “Waiting to Exhale” was released, but I remember that it came on TV a lot when I was a child. Whenever it came on I never watched the movie from the beginning to the end. I would always watch pieces. Last summer me and my friends were having a girl’s night and decide to watch the movie. I found it very interesting the different roles that the characters were portraying. The role in which Angela Basket played was a role that portrayed the black women in America who dedicate their whole lives to their children and husband. They put everything aside in their lives and put their loved ones before theirs. In this case, as well as many others, the wife was a stay at home mother while the husband made a lot of money. When the woman’s husband left her, she became very upset when she found it that he left her for a white woman. This is something that many African-American women become upset about today. They get mad when a white woman “steals” their husband. The character that Lela Devine played, Robin, was also an interesting character to me. She was in love with a married man who seemed to not even care that much about her. Like many cases, the man says he will leave his husband and never will. She portrayed herself as a woman who sleeps around. After she finally decided to leave the married man she decided to date a man at work. After getting mad with him she called up a random guy. When she came to her senses she went back to the married man and became pregnant. This is something that many women do today. After being dumped by one guy they go to another.

No comments:

Post a Comment