Saturday, February 14, 2009

“School Daze” was the first Spike Lee movie that I ever saw. I had to watch it for an African American history class that I took in the 10th grade. During this time I did not know that much about fraternizes and sororities. I understood that these were groups per say that individuals could join. Men and women join these groups to be a part of a brotherhood and sisterhood. Watching this movie I received a better understanding as to what exactly portals to become a part of these Greeks. In this movie, Spike Lee showed a sort of war in which light skinned girls with long hair have with dark skinned girls with short and nappy hair. For many decades light skinned women have always been perceived as more beautiful than dark skinned girls. In my opinion this is not true. To me, this mind set all started during slavery when Willie Lynch told slave owners to turn their slaves against each other. The women that worked outside in the fields began to turn against the women that worked inside. The women working inside are often times the children of the slave owners making them light skinned. The women in the fields felt as though these women thought highly of themselves. As if they were better than the women working outside. I also found it very interesting in the movie that you are not a man unless you have had sex. The character that Spike Lee played was not able to join the fraternity unless he lost his virginity. This is not something that should determine whether a man is a man. Whether or not he steps up and takes care of his responsibility should determine that. It is also a man’s character that can determine whether he is a man or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment